There's no word yet on if Painter has made an offer, but given Mays's ties to Indiana, the ability to come in and have playing time at a competitive big-conference program, and the need at point guard, I really hope we can land him. From what I've read, Mays is a hard worker and a high character individual, so I'd expect him to fit in well with the rest of the team.
Reasons I want Mays:
- Veteran with point guard experience
- Only costs Purdue 1 year of scholarship
- Lets Terone play more two-guard next season
- Gives Ronnie someone to push him in practice
- Ability to score and get to the line (4.8 FT attempt avg. and 14.1 pts/gm on less than 10 shots/gm)
- Shoots his free throws well (83.2%)
- Can still rebound for a guard (2.8/gm, although Lew Jack at 5'9" had over 3 per game)
- Shoots the three well (42.4%)
- Willing to play defense (led his team in steals)
- Got to appreciate a guy who graduates in four years, despite transferring schools
Reasons I don't want Mays:
- Um...Bueller...Bueller...? Seriously though, I obviously trust Painter's judgment and hope that he's hot on the trail so that once Mays graduates in early June, he can officially announce he's becoming a Boilermaker. I'm not sure what other great 5th-year options are out there, but this seems like a great fit regardless (and we technically can still add another transfer).